Dr. Gretchen Wehrle
Chair, Psychology and Sociology Department
Associate Director for Faculty Development, Dorothy Stang Center
|Office location:||Ralston Hall 306|
|Phone number:||(650) 508-3659|
Gretchen Wehrle holds degrees from the University of California at Riverside and the State University of New York at Stony Brook and has been a faculty member at Notre Dame de Namur University (NDNU) since 1999. She currently is Chair of the Psychology/Sociology Department. Before coming to NDNU in 1999, Dr. Wehrle taught at the College of San Mateo and West Valley Community College. Her major areas of interest are community-based learning (CBL), developing reciprocal community partnerships, and faculty development. In 2003, Dr. Wehrle was the first faculty member at NDNU to receive the Inner Fire Award in recognition of her achievements in “sparking students’ inner fire toward fulfilling their potential through curricular and co-curricular leadership.” She also serves as the faculty advisor for the Leadership and Public Service minor in the School of Education and Leadership.
Last year Dr. Wehrle was appointed the Associate Director of Faculty Development of the Dorothy Stang Center for Social Justice and Community Engagement. She oversees the Faculty Scholars Program which provides support and professional development activities for faculty members interested in designing community based learning/research courses.
- Ph.D., Psychology, 1982, State University of New York at Stony Brook. Major area of study: social psychology; minor area: community psychology.
- B.A., Psychology, 1973, University of California at Riverside. Major areas of study: psychology and sociology.
- Abnormal Psychology
- Building Communities Through Diversity
- Community Psychology
- Counseling Skills
- Developmental Psychology/Developmental Psychology in Classroom & Community
- The Family
- Introduction to Psychology
- Social Change Through Social Service
- Social Problems (2009)
- Social Psychology
- Awarded the Sister Catharine Julie Cunningham Memorial Teaching Award, Notre Dame de Namur University, 2008.
- Selected as a Faculty Fellow for the California Campus Compact – Carnegie Foundation Faculty Fellows: Service-Learning for Political Engagement Program, 2007-2009.
- Serve as Co-Director for “Building Partnerships for a Better California - Faculty Development Grant” from California Campus Compact, 2007-2009.
- Served as Team Leader for the Trinity Institute on Urban Learning and Action, Hartford, CT, 2005.
- Co-authored a successful proposal to the Danford Foundation for grant monies to expand Community Based Learning Activities at NDNU, 2005.
- Served as Project Director for “Regional Centers for the Study, Promotion and Documentation of Student Civic Engagement Grant” from California Campus Compact, 2004-2006.
- Selected as a “faculty exemplar” by Diversity Council, Notre Dame de Namur University, 2004.
- Served as Project Director for “Journey Towards Democracy Dialogue Grant” from California Campus Compact, 2003 – 2004.
- Awarded the “Inner Fire” Faculty Award by the Center for Student Leadership, Notre Dame De Namur University, 2003.
- Nominated for Thomas Ehrlich Faculty Award for Service Learning by faculty/staff of Notre Dame de Namur University, 2003.
- Served as Team Leader for “Engaged Department” grant for NDNU’s Sociology/Psychology Department from Campus Compact, Brown University, Providence, RI, 2002-2004.
- Member, American Association of University Professors
- Member, Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Honor Society
- Member, Psi Chi, National Honor Society
- Member, Society for the Teaching of Psychology
- “Making the Political Explicit: Revisioning Service-Learning to Promote Political Engagement,” Panel Discussion, Eleventh Annual Continuums of Service Conference, Western Region Campus Compact, Portland, OR, April 2008.
- “Teach Them What They Need to Know for Life,” The 22nd Annual Conference on Undergraduate Teaching of Psychology, White Plains, NY, March 2008.
- “Building Community through Effective Partnerships,” Tenth Annual Continuums of Service Conference, Western Region Campus Compact, San Jose, CA, April 2007.
- “Supporting Students in their Journey to Becoming Engaged Leaders,” Texas Campus Compact National Conference on Civic Engagement, Austin, TX, February 2007.
- “It Isn’t Just about Feeling Good: Community and Civic Engagement with a Purpose,” Kiwanis Club Breakfast, Redwood City, CA, November 2006.
- “Embedding Dialogue on a University Campus,” 2006 National Conference on Dialogue and Deliberation, San Francisco, CA, August 2006.
- “Engaging in Civic Dialogue,” Building a Voice for Civic Action Conference at the College of San Mateo, San Mateo, CA, January 2004.
- “Institutional Strategies for Promoting Civic Learning at the Core,” Association of American Colleges and Universities Conference on Practicing Liberal Education: Deepening Knowledge, Pursuing Justice, Taking Action, Washington, DC, January 2004.
- “Engaging in Community Dialogues,” 6th Annual Youth Service Conference, College of San Mateo, February 2003.
- “Integrating Community Based Learning and Diversity into the First Year Experience,” Western Region Campus Compacts Consortium’s 6th Annual Continuums of Service Conference, Bellevue, WA, April 2003.
- “Integrating Community Involvement to Enhance the Curriculum,” Sixth Annual Seminar in the Humanities, Notre Dame de Namur University, July 2002.
- “Conflict Resolution,” Student Leadership Academy Workshops, Notre Dame de Namur University, 1999-2004.
- Associate Director for Faculty Engagement, Dorothy Stang Center for Social Justice and Community Engagement, 2007 – present.
- Board Member, Peninsula Conflict Resolution Center, San Mateo, CA, 2006 - present.
- Advisor, Leadership and Public Service Minor, Notre Dame de Namur University, Belmont, CA, 2006 - present.
- Partnered with Peninsula Conflict Resolution Center of San Mateo and John Gardner Center for Youth and their Communities at Stanford University to plan and co-faciliate a community dialogue on “Immigrant Youth and Education, April 2008.
- Hosted the “Bay Area Faith Based Institution Gathering on Community Engagement,” Notre Dame de Namur University, June 2008.
- Member, California Campus Compact Strategic Planning Committee, San Francisco, CA, 2007.
- Served on Planning Committee for the 2006 College of San Mateo Service and Learning Conference, November 2005-February 2006.
- Served on Planning Committee for the First Annual Northern California Dialogue and Deliberation Conference, January-June 2004.
- Served on panel focusing on “Community-Campus Collaborations: What is the relationship between community service, social justice, and university education?” Notre Dame de Namur University, March 2003.
- Selected to participate in year-long Belmont/San Carlos/Redwood City Leadership Program, 2002-2003.
- Facilitate annual community dialogues for students, faculty, staff, and local community members, Notre Dame de Namur University, 2002-present.
- Served as Co-Advisor for Psi Chi Chapter, Notre Dame de Namur University, 2000-2006; introduced community service opportunities for students, 2001.