Dr. Hélène Laroche Davis
Chair, Modern Languages and Cultures Department;
Chair, Intensive Liberal Studies
|Office location:||Saint Mary’s Hall 114|
|Phone number:||(650) 508-3558|
Born in Lyon, France, Hélène Laroche Davis received a B.A from the University of Lyon, a M.A from the University of Paris Sorbonne. She came to Stanford as a Fullbright scholar and received a PhD from Stanford University.
She published a book in Paris on a Surrealist poet Robert Desnos. Numerous articles on French literature and cinema written by her were published in reviews, magazines and newspapers in the United States.
After working with famous French film director François Truffaut for several years, she published a book on his work focussing on his film SHOOT THE PIANO PLAYER, at Rutgers University Press. In 1974, she founded The French Ciné-Club of Palo Alto which she still directs with success. It is a cultural meeting place for francophiles and film fans. Hélène Laroche Davis introduced film courses at College of Notre Dame in the early 80’s. She now teaches French courses as well as culture and film courses. She travels to France every year and attends film festivals.
- B.A. June 1958 University of Lyon, France
- M.A.English June 1961 University of Paris, France
- PhD French June 1974, Stanford University, CA
- French Cinema Culture and Language
- French History and Culture I
- History and Culture of France II
- French Cinema
- French Literature
- Hisotry of France
- 1958-59: Fullbright Scholar at Stanford University
- 1995: Fellowship at the University of Montpellier, France.
- 1999: PALMES ACADEMIQUES from the French Government
- 1973 to present Member of the AATF.
- 1975-1979 Member of the Executive Council of the AATF.
- 1974 to 2002 Founder and director of The French Cine-Club of Palo Alto
- 1991 to 1996 Founder and coordinator of the yearly Forum on the European Union at College of Notre Dame
- 1990 to present Coordinator of Alpha Mu Gamma Foreign Language Honor Society at Notre Dame de Namur University
- 1980 to present numerous lectures to professional organizations on university campuses nationwide.
- 2006 PARIS-HOLLYWOOD: BATTLE OF THE REMAKES lecture presented at the Alliance Française.
- 1976 "Les dix dernières années du cinéma français." Le Californien San Francisco, CA.
- 1979 Book Review:"Scott,David: Sonnet theory and practice in XIXth century France", FRENCH REVIEW, May 1979.
- 1980 A CRITICAL BIBLIOGRAPHY OF FRENCH LITERATURE, Vol.VI, section on Robert Desnos pp.1091-1099, (Syracuse University Press).
"Rencontre avec François Truffaut dans le dernier métro", LE JOURNAL FRANÇAIS D'AMERIQUE November 27,1980.
- 1981 ROBERT DESNOS: UNE VOIX, UN CHANT, UN CRI, ( Paris, Roblot, May 1981).
- Reviewed in Le Monde, Paris,France (July 10,1981) and L'ESPRIT CREATEUR (Summer 1982)
- 1982 "Un regard nouveau sur le Pianiste", N.E.F. Paris, France,(February1982)
- 1984 "Le Truffaut que j'ai connu", LE JOURNAL FRANÇAIS D'AMERIQUE.
- 1985 "French cinema after Truffaut", FRANCE TODAY, No. 2,1985.
- 1993 "Interview with François Truffaut" , SHOOT THE PIANO PLAYER, Rutgers University Press,1993
- "Interview with François Truffaut", CINEASTE, New York,1993
- 1994 "6ème festival de Sarasota" and "La dernière folie de Diane Kurys", LE JOURNAL FRANÇAIS D'AMERIQUE, 9-22 December 1994.
- 1995-1998 Articles on French Cinema in LA LITOTE and JOURNAL FRANÇAIS
- 2005 INTERVIEW WITH FRANÇOIS TRUFFAUT in the Criterion Collection DVD