Notre Dame de Namur University
Campus Guide — Facilities
Apartment Complex (1966)
The three buildings of the Apartment Complex, Carroll Hall, Kane Hall, and Wilkie Hall, include thirty-six apartments and provide housing for up to 100 upper-division students. Each apartment includes a kitchenette, a balcony overlooking the pool, and separate sleeping, study, and living areas.
Serving the campus community, it carries new and used textbooks, school and dorm supplies, general interest paperbacks and reference books, and many other items including NDNU apparel, art supplies, and gift items.
Campus Center (1952)
The Rosenberg Campus Center is home to the Center for Student Leadership, the Academic Success Center, the Tutorial Center, the Writing Center, the Student Lounge, Faculty Lounge, Office of Mission and Diversity, the School of Education and Leadership, and faculty offices for the School of Arts and Humanities.
Carroll Hall See Apartment Complex.
The Cunningham Memorial Chapel was completed in August 1961, and dedicated in 1987 to the memory of Sr. Catharine Julie Cunningham who served as College President from 1956 to 1980. The campanile, hanging sculpture, and stained glass windows were designed by Sr. Margaret Mary Hoffman, former head of the Art Department, and the stained glass windows were made by Gabriel Loire, an internationally-recognized artist in stained glass sculpture.
Cuvilly Hall (1924)
Cuvilly Hall was originally built as a residence hall for the Sisters and students. It now houses classrooms and the School of Business and Management administrative and faculty offices.
Early Learning Center (1964)
The Early Learning Center is a Montessori preschool serving the Peninsula, with an enrollment of 45 students (three to six years of age) per session in two sessions a day, throughout the year.
Gellert Library (1975)
The Carl Gellert and Celia Berta Gellert Library houses the library collections and offers access to on-line information services. See the Academic Affairs section for a description.
Gleason Gymnasium/Recreation Center
The 19,950 square-foot sports complex accommodates a regulation-size basketball court, three cross courts, and pull-out bleachers which seat 900. Dressing/lockers and the Athletics Department offices occupy the ground floor; an all-purpose exercise center is located on the second floor.
Julie Billiart Hall (1952)
Named for Saint Julie Billiart, the foundress of the Sisters of Notre Dame, the Julie Billiart Residence Hall is a coeducational residence hall housing more than 100 students.
Kane Hall See Apartment Complex.
Madison Art Center (1874; Renovated
1986) and Wiegand Gallery (1987)
William Ralston's century-old stone carriage house now contains four major art studios, one each for painting, sculpture, graphic arts, and print-making, as well as a darkroom for photography. The Wiegand Gallery exhibit space and adjacent 50-seat theater were funded in part by a grant from the E. L. Wiegand Foundation. The Gallery is the site of major exhibits each semester. A schedule of shows is available in the Gallery, which is open Tuesday through Saturday, noon to 4:00 p.m.
New Hall (2004)
This newly constructed 200-bed residence hall features four-person suites with flexible furnishings that allow students to maximize either common area or privacy. New Hall also includes a multi-purpose lounge, outdoor spaces for students to congregate, laundry facilities, and an apartment for the resident director.
Notre Dame de Namur University Theatre
The Theatre has a seating capacity of 600. Fully-equipped for musical and dramatic productions, it is used for University, community, and high school performances.
The Oaks and Pool (1966)
The first-floor multipurpose room of The Oaks opens onto a redwood deck adjacent to the Pool. Also on this level are the Counseling Services offices. The lower floor houses Athletic Department offices for coaches.
Ralston Hall Mansion (1864)
The lavish 19th Century estate was the summer home of early California financier William Chapman Ralston, founder of the Bank of California. Built around an Italian villa constructed by Count Leonetto Cipriani in 1840, Ralston Hall has been the site of many elegant cultural events over the past 140 years. Today, it is a National and State Historic Landmark. The 80-room mansion is constructed of redwood covered by stucco. The Mansion is available to the public for special events and conferences.
St. Mary's Hall (1952)
The south wing of St. Mary's Hall includes classrooms, academic computing labs, the Career Center, science labs, faculty offices for several of the Schools, and the Administrative Computing Center. The north wing houses the Registrar's Office and Business Office.
Taube Center (1930; Renovated 1995)
The Taube Center, formerly called the Conference Center, stands at the campus entrance on Ralston Avenue. Originally part of the San Carlos Parish, it was built in 1930 and used as the local parish church until 1958. From 1958 to 1986, the building housed the College Art Department. It was renovated in 1995 by a grant from the Taube Family Foundation of Belmont and the Koret Foundation of San Francisco, and is now used by the University and community for special events and conferences.
Wiegand Gallery See Madison Art Center.
Wilkie Hall See Apartment Complex.
For photos of many of these facilities, go to www.ndnu.edu/about-us/tour/.