Arnell Etherington, Ph.D., MFT, ATR-BC
Professor, Graduate Art Therapy Program
- Ph.D., Clinical Psychology. Professional School of Psychology, San Francisco California, 1991.
- MA, Creative Arts Therapy. Lone Mountian College, San Francisco, California, 1977.
- Graduate Studies in Religion, Philosophy, Film and Photography. New School for Social Research, New York, New York, 1969-1970.
- Graduate Studies in English Literature. University of London, London, England, 1969.
- BA, Child Psychology. Rutgers University, Douglas College, New Brunswick, New Jersey, 1969.
Research and Interests
- Sister Catherine Julie Cunningham Memorial Teaching Project Award Recipient
- East Palo Alto Art Therapy Learning/Mentoring Program-“Finding Solutions to Violence”, 2007.
- The Effects of Art Therapy on Self Esteem with Children having Genetic Glaucoma , Collaborating with Olena Wolsozuk, College of Notre Dame, 1998-1999.
- The Integration of Artist Preference, Artist Expression, and Personality Types – Collaborating with Dr. Roy King, Stanford University, 1997.
- Repetitive Figures in Sandplay, 1991.
- American Art Therapy Association Clinical Award for Adolescent Services, 2004.
- Sister Catherine Julie Cunningham Memorial Teaching Project, 1997, 2006.
- Five Years of Dedicated Services to Youth, New Directions Adolescent Services Board of Directors, 1990.
- Outstanding Services to Youth, New Directions Adolescent Services Board of Directors, 1985-1988.
- 10 Years of Outstanding Services to Children, St. Vincent’s School for Boys, 1975-1985.
- American Art Therapy Association, Professional Member
- National Chair, Scholarship Committee 1999-2003
- National Chair, Education Committee, 1994
- Member, Grants Committee, 1996
- Member, Research Committee, 1992-1993
- Northern California Art Therapy Association, Honorary Life Member
- Member and Past Vice-President
- National Association of Creative Arts Therapists
- Past Member and Vice-President
- Sandplay Therapists of America, Member
- CAMFT, Member
- Book: The Story of the Changing Wall
- Thesis: Art Therapy with Previously Abused children
- Dissertation: The Use of Repetitive Figures in Sandplay Therapy
- Sandplay Therapy – 1997
- Sandplay Manual – 1998
- Art Therapy Today, Clinical Chapter, “Art Therapy and Sandplay with Abused Girls”, published by Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic, 1999
- Art, Angst and Trauma, Chapter, “The Sparks of Adolescence”, published by Charles C. Thomas, Springfield, Ill., 2007