Chair, Department of Art and Graphic Design
Betty Friedman has taught at NDNU since 1995, at Laney College in Oakland, and the San Francisco Art Institute. She has always worked in the arts as a printmaker and papermaker, as well as a graphic designer. Ms. Friedman’s studio is located in west Oakland where she makes paper and prints that are exhibited internationally. Her prints are included in the art collections of Adobe Systems, Apple Computers, The Oakland Museum of California, Bank of California, and UBS. Ms. Friedman chairs the Art Department and began the Art and Graphic Design program at NDNU. She also designs and produces most of the print projects for the Wiegand Gallery at NDNU.
- BFA, MFA Printmaking. California College of the Arts.
- Media Graphics: Production Techniques
- Media Graphics: Layout and Typography
- Media Graphics: Graphic Design
- Printmaking: Multi-Media Workshop
- Graphic Design Senior Internship
- Portfolio (capstone)
Lectures and Other Teaching
- Escuela de Arte de Cadiz, Cadiz, Spain, short course in chine collé printmaking to Cadiz faculty, 2011
- Lecture: Paper and Ink, Escuela de Arte Dionisio Ortiz J., Cordoba, Spain, 2009
- American Association of Graphic Artists (AIGA)
- California Society of Printmakers
- American Association of University Professors (AAUP)
- California Society of Printmakers One Hundred Years 1913-2013, edited by Marly Snow, 2013.
- Review of the Wiegand Gallery exhibition: Roberto Chavez: Drawings and Paintings, titled, "Look Here Upon This Picture, and On This", with Dr. Jean Nyland, Jung Journal: Culture and Psyche, (Summer 2013), 7 (3), 69-76.
- Paper Takes Flight. Rijswijk, Netherlands: Uitgeverij Compres bv, Leiden NL/ Foundation Paper Manifestation, 1994.
- 16th Century Techniques in 2002: Intaglio on Handmade Paper. Somerset Studio, Stampinton & Company, 2002.
- Paper: An Inspirational Portfolio. Watson-Guptill, 1999.
- Paper and Fire. Holland: Gentenaar Publishing, 1998.
- NDNU Art Department Faculty Exhibition, Wiegand Gallery, Notre Dame de Namur University, Belmont, CA, 2013
- Isda and Co., solo exhibition, San Francisco, CA, 2012
- Estampa, Madrid, Spain, represented by Tula Prints, Cordoba, 2011
- Tula Prints, solo exhibition, Cordoba, Spain, 2011
- Realism and Abstraction: Four Printmakers, Trevor Southey, Betty Friedman, David Smith-Harrison and Misch Kohn, Wiegand Gallery, Notre Dame de Namur University, Belmont, CA, 2010
- Art in the Parc, Parc 55 Hotel, San Francisco, CA, 2009
- ESTAMPA 2008, International Print Fair, Madrid, Spain, with Tula Prints, 2008
- Full Circle: Recent Prints from Manneken Press, Reese Bullen Gallery, Humbolt State University, Humboldt, CA, 2007
- Prints From Manneken Press, Loyola University New Orleans and Arts Council of New Orleans, New Orleans, LA, 2007
- Gallery Artists, The Collector's Gallery, Oakland Museum, Oakland, CA, 2007
- Holland Paper Biennial 2006, CODA Museum, Apeldorn, Netherlands, 2006
- PRINT, Gensler Gallery, San Francisco, CA, 2006
- Group Exhibition, The Collector’s Gallery, Oakland Museum, Oakland, CA, 2006
- Galex 29, The Galesburg Civic Art Center, Galesburg, IL, awarded Best Print prize, 2005
- Tula Prints, solo exhibition, Cordoba, Spain, 2005
- Manneken Press at 5 Years, Illinois Wesleyan University, IL, 2005
- Gallery Artists, The Collector's Gallery, Oakland Museum, Oakland, CA, 2004
- Paper and Ink: Betty Friedman and David Smith-Harrison, Green Shutter Gallery, Hayward, CA, 2003
- NDNU Art Faculty Exhibition 2003, Skyline College Gallery, San Bruno, CA, 2003
- Imprints, a regional juried exhibition, Arts Benecia Gallery, Benecia, CA, 2001
- The Spirit of Handmade Prints, Triton Museum of Art, Santa Clara, CA, 2001
- Nextmonet.com, on-line gallery representation, 2000
- California Society of Printmakers Exhibition at
3Com Corporation and
Aspect Communications, 2000
- Gallery Artists, The Collector's Gallery, Oakland Museum, Oakland, CA, 1999
- Holland Papier Biennale, Museum Rijswijk, Den Haag, Holland, 1998
- Betty Friedman: Intaglio Prints on Handmade Paper, University Medical Center, Hallside Gallery, Salt Lake City, UT, 1998
- 2nd Annual California Prints from Wood, Collector's Gallery, Oakland Museum, Oakland, CA, 1997
- Group exhibition, I. Wolk Gallery, St. Helena, CA, 1997
- Misch Kohn and Betty Friedman, Airtouch Corporation, Walnut Creek, CA, 1996
- Betty Friedman, solo exhibition, Hewlett Packard, San Jose, CA, 1996
- Artists and Teachers, Wiegand Gallery, College of Notre Dame, Belmont, CA, 1995
- J.D. Neumann, solo exhibition, San Francisco, CA, 1994
- Triton Museum, group printmaking exhibition, Santa Clara, CA, 1994
- Gump's Gallery, group exhibition, 1993