Cheryl Joseph, Ph.D.
- Ph.D., magna cum laude, Education. Wayne State University, 1985.
- Minor: Business Management
- Graduate Professional Scholarship
- MA, magna cum laude, Sociology and Social Work. University of Detroit, 1977.
- Graduate Tuition Remission Scholarship
- BA, Sociology. Wayne State University, 1971.
- Intro to Sociology
- Classical Sociological Theory
- Contemporary Theory
- Social Change through Social Service
- Interpersonal/Intercultural Communication
- Animals in Society
- Teaching, Learning, and Healing through Animals
- The Animal-Human Bond
- Animals, People, and the Environment
- Animals and People in Nature
- Urban Sociology
Research and Interests
- Continued research on the bond humans share with other animals whether companion, farm or wildlife along with opportunities for students to intern with organizations that promote this bond such as Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA, Palo Alto Humane Society (PAHS), Pet Are Wonderful Support (PAWS), VetSOS and Wildlife Associates.
- Beagle Award for Outstanding Community Outreach, 2008
- HSUS Honorable Mention Award for Existing Course in Human-Animal Studies, 2007
- Bay Area Community Engagement Award, Spring 2007
- Inner Fire Award for Teaching Excellence, NDNU, 2005-2006
- Nadine Spillar Award for Outstanding Humane Education, 2001-2003
- Sabbatical Leave, Notre Dame de Namur University, 2001-2002
- Promotion to Full Professor, Spring 1997
- Sabbatical Leave, College of Notre Dame, Spring 1995
- Tenure, Fall 1995
- Faculty Grant for Creative Research, College of Notre Dame, Fall 1994
- Kellogg Award, Fall 1994
- Release Time for Creative Research, College of Notre Dame, Spring 1994
- Faculty Grant for Creative Research, College of Notre Dame, Fall 1993
- Recognition for Teaching Excellence Award Intensive Program, College of Notre Dame, Spring 1991
- American Sociological Association
- Association for Humanist Sociology, Western Regional Representative
- Pacific Sociological Association
- California Sociological Association
- California Writers for a Changing World
- Putting Sociology to Work: Practical Pursuits for Sociology Majors. Pending publication.
- Dealing With Difficult People: It's a Zoo Out There. Worthy Shorts Publications, 2009.
- "Teaching About the Animal-Human Bond through a Sociological Lens" in Teaching the Animal: Human-Animal Studies Across the Disciplines. Lantern Press. 2009.
- Effects of Hypnotherapy on Test Anxiety in Adult Learners: An Experimental Study. Wayne State University. 1986.
- "Models for Futures-Forecasting: An Analysis," Journal of Instructional Technology. Spring, 1981.
- "Social Change through Social Movements" (Book Review), Peninsular Papers. Winter-Spring, 1977.
- “The Ultimate Assault: A Political Analysis of Rape,” Coffee Break Press, 1975.
ew York, 1990 & 1992.In Progress:
- Vegetarian Cookbook for the College Student: a guide for college students who are considering a vegetarian diet as a means of alleviating global suffering and environmental degradation.
- From Hitler to Hip-Hop: Fifty Years of Sociological Theory: an under- graduate level textbook that examines the impact of personal and social events on contemporary sociological theory in European, U.S., Eastern and Third World contexts.