Kimberley Garth-James, DPA
Assistant Professor, Public Administration
Special accomplishments: Dr. Garth-James has been a public servant for about 20 years serving. Appointments include consultant, the California Governor’s Office Criminal Justice Planning, and State Senate (Appropriations, Ethics and Joint Committees on Penal Code and Prisons); Department of Defense and US Embassy (Immigration Visa) in London, UK; Consultant to the US Department of Justice (OJP) and Independent Observer of Prison Industries; Victims’ Policy Advisor, US Sentencing Commission; and, Commissioner, Human Rights/Fair Housing Commission, California.
She’s an international Speaker on public-private partnerships, and eLearning. Author of three books found at www.kagl.info, Amazon and B&N(or Google Search “Kimberley Garth-James”), and eLearning and Community of Inquiry Model for Global Learners Journal of Education Research (2014), and conference presentations including ITASTED, EEE in Government, (NSF Sponsored), and ISSORB as well as various articles in Sage Encyclopedia of Criminal Justice Ethics (Privacy & NSA), Sage Encyclopedia of Economics & Society (Immigrant Entrepreneurship, Policy Networks, and MOOCs) 2015, publication; and , founder of a student-centered website http://www.crimeandjusticepolicy.co.
A public servant for about 20 years. Appointments as policy consultant at the California Governor’s Office Criminal Justice Planning, US Embassy, London, and the California Legislature (policy and fiscal committees). Body of work includes working with the United Nations on human rights policy, and eLearning in global education. An international Speaker on public-private partnerships, and author books at Amazon, www.kagl.info, and articles in Sage Encyclopedias on Privacy & NSA, Immigrant Entrepreneurship, Racial Profiling and MOOCs.
Interests: Playing with my grandson, 60 mile bike rides, 2 mile runs and drinking tea and chatting with students.
- Doctor Public Administration. Golden Gate University. 1994.
- MBA, Marketing. Columbia Southern University. 2014.
- M.A., International & Multicultural Education. The Jesuit USF. 2012.
- MPA, Administrative Organization & Management. GGU. 1982.
- Six Sigma Black Belt, Thomas Pyzdek Institute. 2014.
- CEU/MCLU Unites in Sexual Assault, Rural Issues in Sexual Assault, and corrections
Research and Interests
- Public Policy Decision Making (criminal justice, sentencing reform)
- Statistical Processes and Capacity Building (governments, businesses, nonprofits)
- Field of Research Methods and Pragmatism
- Race, Ethnicity and Rights of Hard-to-Serve (women, LGBT, immigrants)
- California Department of Education, Superintendent’s Data Analysis Award, 2006
- International Ambassador’s Award, Oxford, England, 2006
- YWCA Outstanding Women’s Award, 2000
- UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
- UN Public Administration Network
- Elk Grove City Chamber, 2013
- California Faculty Association, 2012
- Alliance of Crime and Criminal Justice (United Nations)
- American Association of University Professors , 2012
- American Society for Public Administrators, Elections Task Force Member, 2009
- Correctional Education, 2012
- National Nonprofit Association, 2006-2008
- KY Nonprofit Initiative, 2006-2008
- California, Academy of Criminal Justice Research, 2006
- International Society for Business and Professional Women, 2000
- Garth-James. (2014). Three articles on Privacy, Legal Issues and Ethics. Sage Encyclopedia of Criminal Justice Ethics. Thousand Oaks, California: Sage Publications.
- Garth-James. (2013). Eleuthera: Improve Corrections’ Performance and Save Our Communities with eLearning and Work. Baltimore, Maryland: Publish America.
- Garth, K. (2012). Five articles on Policy and Community Corrections. Sage Encyclopedia On Community Corrections. Thousand Oaks, California: Sage Publications.
- Francom, J. and Garth-James, K. (2010). ELearning Effects on Prisoner Reentry: A Restorative Justice Model. Accepted as chapter in book. Restorative Justice Models, J. Charlton publishers, Canada
- Francom, J. and Garth-James, K. (2009). Examining Research on E-Learning and Effect On Recidivism and Reentry. Journal of Informational Technology in Education (JITE). Santa Rosa: Informing Science Institute, 2009.
- Garth-James, K. (2011). Eleuthera: Improve Corrections’ Performance and Save Our Communities. Salt Lake City, Utah: American Publishers.
- Garth-Lewis, K. (2005). How PIE Turns Predators into Producers: the World of Private Prison Industries. Baltimore: Publish America.
- Watson, D. (2004 September). Juvenile Offender Comprehensive Reentry Substance Abuse Treatment (referenced to Dr. Garth research on juvenile justice prevention). The Journal of Correctional Education, 55(3).
- Garth-Lewis, K. A. (2001). Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention Annual Report To Governor and Legislature, (www.ocjp.ca.gov/publications), Sacramento, California.
- Garth-Lewis, K. A. (2001). California’s Year 2000 Juvenile Justice Comprehensive Plan. Juvenile Justice & Delinquency Prevention Branch, Sacramento, California.