Richard Carolan, Ed.D., ATR-BC
Director, Art Therapy Ph.D. Program
- Ed.D., Counseling Psychology. University of San Francisco, 1992.
- MA, Psychology. Sonoma State University, 1986.
- BA, Psychology. Western Connecticut State, 1975.
Credentials and Professional Affiliations
- Licensed Psychologist (license #14289)
- ATR-BC, Registered Art Therapist – Board Certified
- R.A.S. Registered Addiction Specialist
- Member, American Art Therapy Association (AATA), Since 1990
- AATA Research Committee (1994 – 1997)
- AATA Standards Committee (1994 – 1995)
- Continuing Education Committee (2009 – 2011)
- Chair, Educational Standards Appeals Committee (2010 – 2011)
- Northern Art Therapy Association (NCATA), Since 1994
- American Psychological Association, Since 1988
- California Psychological Association, Since 2004
- Marin Psychological Association, Since 2009
- Redwood Psychological Association, Since 2009
- President, Art Therapy Credentials Board (ATCB) 1996/97, 97/98, 98/99
- Board Member, Art Therapy Credentials Board (ATCB) 1995- 1999
- Carolan, R. (in press) Art, the Self and the Body. In Margaret Hunter (Ed.) Reflections of Body Image in Art Therapy. Jessica Kingsley, London.
- Carolan, R. (2007) Adolescents, Identity, Addiction, and Imagery. In Doris Arrington (Ed.), Art Angst & Trauma: Right Hemisphere Interventions & Developmental Issues (pp.99-115) Bloomington, Illinois: Charles C Thomas.
- Carolan, R. (2003) Video Review: Dancing on Blood by Arthur Robbins, The Arts in Psychotherapy, 307 (5), 295.
- Carolan, R. (2002). Grace, Politics, and Personalities. Art Therapy: Journal Of the American Art Therapy Association, 19(2), 50.
- Carolan, R. (2002). Models and Paradigms of Art Therapy Research. Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association, 18(4), 190-206.
- Gerstel, T. & Carolan, R. (2002) Federal Grant: Strengthening Communities – Youth GFA No TI 01-004. Grant submitted to SAMHSA Programs/National Institutes of Health for Contra Costa County Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration
- Carolan, R. (2002) Video Review: At the Threshold: A Journey to the Sacred Integration of Jungian Psychology and the Expressive Arts, The Arts Psychotherapy, 29 (1), 55-56.
- Carolan, R. (2001) Video Review: Bill T. Jones Still/Here with Bill Moyers, The Arts in Psychotherapy, 27 (3), 225-226.
- Carolan, R. (2001) Book Review: Ethical Issues in Art Therapy by Bruce Moon, The Arts in Psychotherapy, 28 (3), 207.
- Lopez, J. & Carolan, R. (2001). House Tree Person Drawings and Sex Offenders: A Pilot Study, Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association, 18(3), 158-165.
- Carolan, R. (1996) Video Review: Your language as art. The Arts in Psychotherapy, 23(2), 183-184.
- McLauglin, D., & Carolan, R. (1992) Types of Research in A Guide to Conducting Art Therapy Research, Harriet Wadeson (Ed.)
- Mundelin, IL. American Art Therapy Association, Inc. (pp. 52-59).
- 2011 Art Therapy and Addiction, Annual Art Therapy Association Conference, Washington D.C.
- 2010 Art Therapy in the Digital World, Annual Art American Art Therapy Association Conference, Sacramento California.
- 2010 Art Therapy and Ethical Considerations, Northern California Art Therapy Association.
- 2009 Ethics in Therapy, Northern California Art Therapy Association.
- 2009 Art Therapy and Adolescents, Psychiatric Residential Treatment Program: Family Life Center.
- 2007 Art, Addiction & Mindfulness Keynote Speech Taipei, Taiwan, Third Annual Art Therapy Conference.
- 2007 Addiction, Trauma and Art. Florida State University.
- 2006 “Quick Draw” Invited Artist. Annual American Art Therapy Conference, New Orleans.
- 2006 Collaborative Management Strategies. Sutter Health System, Oakland California.
- 2006 Group Process and Substance Abuse. Santa Clara Learning Center.
- 2005 Art Therapy and Addiction. Florida State University.
- 2004 “Art therapy from Surviving to Thriving in Challenging Times” California Association for Counseling and Development, Regional Conference.
- 2004 “Art Therapy: Theory and Practice” Sonoma State University.
- 2004 “Counselors in Action: From Surviving to Thriving in Challenging Times” California Association for Counseling and Development, Regional Conference.
- 2003 “Collaborative services in Strengthening Community Youth”, Substance Abuse Summit, San Diego, California.
- 2002 “Dark and Light in Work and Life” Northern California Art Therapy Association Conference.
- 2001 “Art Therapy Research to Detect Psychosocial Problems in Pediatric Renal Transplant Recipients,” Annual American Art Therapy Conference, Albuquerque, NM.
- 2001 “Role of the Psychology Intern in the Dual Diagnosis Therapeutic Community” Thunder Road Adolescent Treatment Centers, Inc.
- 2001 “Art Therapy in Drug and Alcohol Treatment” Thunder Road Adolescent Treatment Center, Inc.
- 2001 “Art Therapy in a Psychiatric Treatment Center for Severely Emotionally Disturbed Adolescents” Family Life Center.
- 2001 “Art Therapy, a Supervision Process” New Directions Adolescent Treatment Program.
- 2000 “Art Therapy and Residential Treatment” California Art Therapy Association Annual Conference.
- 2000 “The State of the State, Art Therapy in California” Panel Moderator, California Art Therapy Association Annual Conference.