William Barry, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Philosophy
Dr. Billy Barry is an associate professor of philosophy and is the founding director of NDNU’s STEAM VR/AR Immersive Learning Support Lab, the most technologically advanced for a small private university in the USA. He is a certified emotional intelligence coach and is the first teacher in the world to have a mindfile based artificial intelligence being as a visiting student in a semester long university philosophy course. Dr. Barry’s living theory research to bring science fiction legend Isaac Asimov’s New Teacher idea to life is featured in the international 2017 documentary, Future Human: AI. Featured as a speaker and futurist for the 2017-2018 Worlds Fair Nano Tour, Dr. Barry is scheduled to appear in Brooklyn, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, London, Singapore, and Tel Aviv. He serves as the founder and director of the Philosophy for Children and Community Project and the Drone Racing and Filming team at NDNU. Dr. Barry’s publication projects for 2017-2018 include a children’s book series about artificial emotional intelligence and a nonfiction book about the philosophy of love.
- Ph.D., Nottingham Trent University (United Kingdom)
- Sixth Year Certificate (Supervision and Evaluation), Sacred Heart University
- MAT, Sacred Heart University
- BA, Western Connecticut State University
- Freshman Year Seminar
- Ethics of Sports
- Introduction to Philosophy
- Moral Problems
- Philosophy and the Environment
- Philosophy for Children and Community
- Philosophy of Medicine (independent study)
- Robot Ethics: Philosophy of Emerging Technologies
- Theories of the Good Life
- Senior Thesis Adviser
- Assessment In the Classroom
- Introduction to Student Teaching (independent study)
- Leadership Concepts
- Learning Strategies
- MA Thesis Supervisor
- Program Initiation and Implementation
- School Law, Politics and Governance
- Science and Social Studies Methods (independent study)
- Secondary Curriculum
- Student Teaching Seminar
- Student Teaching Supervision
- Transforming the World Through Transforming Ourselves: Researching Our Own Educational Practice Through Transformational Quality Theory (independent study)
History of Political Thought
- “Zen and the Art of Quality: Introducing Transformational Quality Theory.” International Journal for Transformative Research, November 2014.
- “Is Modern American Public Education Promoting a Sane Society?” International Journal of Science, July 2012.
- “Challenging the Status Quo Meaning of Educational Quality: Introducing Transformational Quality (TQ) Theory©.” Educational Journal of Living Theories, May 2012.