William J. Rhyne, DBA
Adjunct Full-Time Assistant Professor,
School of Business and Management
- DBA. Golden Gate University, San Francisco, California, 2008.MBA, Marketing. University of California, Davis, 1995.
- Dissertation Committee: Dr. Michal Strahilevitz, Chair, Ageno School of Business, Golden Gate University; Dr. Faith Chao, Golden Gate University; Dr. Dan Ariely, Professor of Behavioral Economics, Duke University
- Dissertation: "Culture, Self-orientation, and Reward Structure Effects: Measuring Cheating Behavior in China and the USA"
- MBA, Marketing. University of California, Davis, 1995.
- Masters Certificate, International Business. Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, Netherlands, 1994.
- BA, Music. University of Hawaii, Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii, 1977.
- Marketing Planning & Analysis
- International Business
- Principles of Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- International Marketing
- Marketing Across Cultures
- Advertising & Promotions
- Organizational & Management Theory
Research and Interests
- Hedonic consumption
- Risk perceptions
- International trade and entry mode strategies for small and medium sized businesses, emerging entrepreneurism and firm strategies in China
- Cross cultural behavioral decision theory
- Golden Gate University, Outstanding Graduate Student, DBA Program, 2008-2009
- Strathmore’s Who’s Who, 2004
- Rhyne Cyder Awards: 1st Place, West Coast Brewfest 2000; Gold Medal, California State Fair 2002; Bronze Medal, North American 2003 Cider Competition, Slow Food International producer delegate to Terra Madre Conference (Torino, Italy) in Fall of 2004
- Rhyne Cyder Press: Saveur Magazine “Best Use Yet for Apples”, January 2003; New York Times, November 2001 and “Cider with the Soul of Wine” 2003; Food & Wine Magazine, “Best American Ciders”, November 2001
- Armstrong University: Outstanding Faculty Award, 1999, 2000, 2001
- Marquis’ Who’s Who in the West, 1988
- Professional Medical Products Sales Awards: Gainer’s Club ($300,000 gain over previous year), 1986, 1988; Sales Representative of the Year, 1986
- Society of Consumer Psychology, 2006-current
- American Marketing Association, 1994-2004, 2007-current
- Association for Consumer Research, 2007-current
- Western Academy of Management, 2007-current
- Academy of Management, 2005-current
- International Association of Chinese Management Research, 2005- current
- Northern California Songwriters' Association, 1988-1994
- Musician's Association of Hawaii, 1974-1984
- Self-produced music album, “Freedom of the Rolling Plains” by Bill Rhyne & The Coronados, which received airplay on independent country music stations in the European Union, United States, China, and Australia. Available at http://www.cdbaby.com/brtc.
Sample of working papers
- “Social Risks Perceptions: Let’s Eat,” (http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1373961)
- “Entering the Global Market Place of the 21st Century: Strategies, Risks, and Modes for International Expansion of Chinese Businesses,” 2005.
- ( http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1373935). Also translated into Chinese and published in the Export-Import Bank of China Trade Magazine in 2005. Part of the paper is posted on the Exim Bank website at www.eximbank.gov.cn/topic/hwtz/2005/3_09.doc.
- “Chapter 14, The China Wine Market: A Case for Segmentation, Promotion, Distribution, Pricing, and Mode of Entry Decisions,” Handbook of Contemporary Marketing in China, Nova Science Publishing, 2010.
- “William R. Hambrecht: An Executive Interview,” submitted for review to Journal of Management Inquiry editors in 2009 and working on rewrite based on reviewer’s comments.
- “International Cooperative Degree Programs: Public Policy and Legal Issues,” Western Academy of Management 2007 Conference proceedings, Missoula, Montana, March 2007
- Dobrus, Stefan, Judy Lee and William J. Rhyne. “Constellation Brands: Technology Systems in the Wine Industry,” Western Academy of Management 2008 Conference proceedings, Oakland, CA, March 2008
- “An Attempt to Improve Fairness, Efficiency, and Access in the Financial Markets: The WRH + Co OpenIPO Process,” Hawaii International Conference on Business 2009 proceedings, Honolulu, HI, June 2009
- Rhyne, William J., Michal Strahilevitz and Dan Ariely. “Culture, Self-Orientation, and Reward Structure Effects on Cheating Behavior in China and the USA,” Hawaii International Conference on Business 2009 proceedings, Honolulu, HI, June 2009