Clubs and Organizations
Omicron Delta Kappa
The Omicron Delta Kappa Society is the national leadership honor society for college students, faculty, staff, administrators, and alumni that recognizes and encourages superior scholarship, leadership, and exemplary character. Membership in ODK ® is a mark of the highest distinction and honor.
The Society recognizes achievement in five areas:
- Campus/ Community Service, Social/Religious Activities, and Campus Government
- Journalism, Speech and the Mass Media
- Creative and Performing Arts
Emphasis is placed on the development of the whole person, both as a member of the college community and as a contributor to a better society.
The purpose of Omicron Delta Kappa is threefold:
- To recognize those who have exhibited a high standard of leadership and efficiency in collegiate activities;
- To bring together student leaders from all sectors of collegiate life in order to help mold the sentiment of the university for questions of local and collegiate interest;
- To bring together members of the faculty and the student body on a basis of mutual interest and understanding.
Omicron Delta Kappa was founded December 3, 1914 at Washington and Lee University , Lexington , Virginia , by 15 student and faculty leaders. The founders formulated the idea that leadership of exceptional quality and versatility in college should be recognized, that representatives in all phases of college life should cooperate in worthwhile endeavors, and that outstanding students, faculty, and administrators should meet on a basis of mutual interest, understanding and helpfulness. ODK ® was the first college honor society of a national scope to give recognition and honor for meritorious leadership and service in extracurricular activities and to encourage development of general campus citizenship.
Become a member of Omicron Delta Kappa:
Students may only apply for Omicron Delta Kappa if they are invited to do so based on eligibility. Applications are requested at the fall of each school year and a professional panel chooses members based on a point system.