Dr. Judith Doktor
Program Director, Master of Arts in Special Education, Preliminary Education Specialist Credential
|Phone number:||(650) 508-3627|
Education | Research & Interests | Current Projects | Presentations | Community Activities | Publications
- Postdoctoral Fellow University of Kansas, 1993-1995
School Affiliated Programs (wrap around services)
College of Education, Dept. of Special Education
- Ph.D. Vanderbilt University, 1993
Peabody College of Education and Human Development
Policy Development and Program Evaluation
Minor Education Policy Reform
- M.A. University of Hawaii, 1987
Public Policy Strand
Certificate in Planning
Post Graduate Credits in Educational Administration and Special Education (ABD Public Policy)
- M.A. SUNY-Binghamton, 1972
Post Graduate Credits in Public Administration
- B.A. San Jose State University, 1968
Psychology and Special Education
Completed 1 semester student teaching in 1st Grade
- Autism Research and advocacy
- Special Education policy and reform
- Professional development schools and school-university partnerships
- Experiential education and service learning
- Inclusionary practices
- Whole school RTI implementation
- Putting on a happy face: Web images of mothering children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Generic title for project involving 6 articles and 1 book chapter.
- Professional development schools and special education policy
- Service learning and inclusion
- Evaluating programs for HIV adults
- Consulting for charter schools
- Consulting on whole school RTI implementation
- Dreuth Zeman, L. and Swanke, J., Doktor,(October,2009) Policy Implications for Autism Advocacy.Presented at MWERA, ST.Louis,MO.
- Doktor,J (April 2009) Serice Learning and Community Building. Presented at the American Association of Behavioral Science. Las Vegas, NV
- Doktor, J (February 2009) Can Commitment to Community Service be taught? Presented at the National Social Science Conference,Las Vegas,NV.
- Doktor, J. (January, 2009). Accommodating persons with disabilities in disaster planning. International Conference on Crisis as an Opportunity:Organizational and Professional Responses to Disaster. Thursday, January 8th Ben-Gurion University of the Negev Beer-Sheva, Israel, Spitzer Department of Social Work at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev and the School of Social Work at Rutgers University, New Jersey
- Dreuth Zeman, L., Doktor, J., and Swanke, J. (November, 2008). Social niches of mothers raising children in the Autism Spectrum. Poster Presentation. National Council on Family Relations Annual Meeting, Little Rock, Arkansas.
- Dreuth Zeman, L. and Swanke, J., Doktor, J. (July, 2008). Resources that support mother caregivers of children in the Autism Spectrum. Paper Presentation. First National Research Conference on Child and Family Programs and Policy, Bridgewater State College.
- Doktor, J. (April 2006).Case management systems in Special Education”. Invited paper: the National Association of Social Science, Las Vegas.
- Doktor, J. (January, 2006). McKay Scholarships: A window of opportunity for SPED students in Florida. Invited Presentation. : 4th Annual International Conference on Education. Honolulu, HI.
- Doktor, J. (November, 2005). Florida New Freedom Initiative. Invited session. TASH. Milwaukee, WI. November 2005
- Doktor, J. (April, 2005). Evaluating Aids Programs. Invited paper, annual meeting of the Social Science Association.
- Doktor, J. (June, 2001). The Paradox of AIDS. Invited paper, SAMHSA Women and AIDS Conference, Orlando, Fl.
- Doktor, J. (January, 2001). Domestic Violence and the Woman as Victim. Invited paper: Western Behavioral Science Conference.
- Doktor, J. (December, 1996). School Reform as an integral part of Community Development. Invited Paper: International Council for Teacher Education (ICET), Amman, Jordan.
- Doktor, J. (October, 1997). Leadership Styles in the Early Implementation Success of the Kentucky Family Resource and Youth Service Centers: Implication for recruitment, selection and training of center directors. Invited Paper, The Third National Conference on Interpersonal Education and Community Collaboration, Kansas City, MO.
- Doktor, J. (October, 1996). Symbiotic Relationships in Community Organization. Invited Paper. Kellogg Leadership Symposium, Michigan State University, Lansing, MI.
- Doktor, J. (September, 1996). Parent Participation, Related Services, and Special Education Reform. Invited paper. California Department of Special Education Annual Conference, Costa Mesa, CA.
- Doktor, J. (November, 1996). The Empowerment Issue. Invited Presentation: TASH, New Orleans.
- Doktor, J. (March, 1996). Collaborative Efforts in Coachella Valley”. Invited Paper: Kellogg Leadership Symposium at Mammoth University.
- Doktor, J. (March, 1996). Inclusion Works in Coachella Valley. Poster Session CEC.
- Doktor, J. (November, 1995). School-Community Relationships. Invited Paper, TASH, San Francisco, CA.
- Doktor, J. & McConnell, J. (March, 1995). Invited Paper. Dorothy Allen Freeman: Interpretive Biography of the “Head Start Lady.” The 16th Annual Forum on Educational Ethnography, University of Pennsylvania.
- Doktor, J. (January, 1995). Devotion: Window of Opportunity for Strengthening Community Capacity”. White Paper: Interdisciplinary Policies Studies Program. University Affiliated Program, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS.
- Doktor, J. (December, 1994). Evaluating Service Integration Projects. Invited Paper: TASH Conference, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Doktor, J. (November, 1994). Service Integration Concerns for School Board Members: NASDE Conference, Grand Rapids, MI.
- Doktor, J. (October, 1994). The Challenges of Inclusion: The Case of Minority Over-Representation in Special Education”. Invited Paper: Kansas Council for Exceptional Children 1994 Annual Conference, Manhattan, Kansas.
- Doktor, J. (October, 1994). Infusing Multiculturalism into the Inclusive Environment – Paradoxes and Pitfalls.
- Doktor, J. (October, 1994). Inclusion and Community. Invited Speaker: Kansas 2nd Annual Statewide Inclusion Conference, Wichita, Kansas.
- Doktor, J. (October, 1994). Facilitating Reform in Child and Family Services. White Paper: Interdisciplinary Policies Studies Program. University Affiliated Program, Department of Special Education, University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas.
- Doktor, J. (September, 1994). Service Integration and Inclusion: Resource Dependency. Invited Speaker: Pre-inclusion Statewide Conference, Wichita, Kansas.
- Doktor, J. (June, 1994). An Organizational Analysis of the Corporation for Change. White Paper: Interdisciplinary Policies Studies Program. University Affiliated Program/Special Education, University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas.
- Doktor, J. (November, 1983). Alcohol Abuse amongst Elderly Women. Invited presentation. Division of Mental Health Prevention Conference, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Doktor, J. (November, 1983). The Use and Misuse of Drugs in Elderly Women. Invited paper. Second International Pan-Pacific Conference on Drugs and Alcohol, Hong Kong.
- Doktor, J. (April, 1983). The Use and Misuse of Drugs in Elderly Women”. Western Gerontology Society, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- 2008 - present: Member, Calumet-Purdue Institute for Social policy Research
Member, Calumet-Purdue ADA committee
Member, Calumet- Purdue Textbook selection committee
Member, Scott Middle School Comer Project
- 2006: Member, Coordinating Committee “Project Coatch” Broward County, Florida Department of Human Services
- 2005 - present: Member, coordinating committee “Project Broward Crussh” Broward County, Florida, Department of Health.
- 1998 - present: Angel View School (Hope House). Board of Visitors
- 2000 - present: Board of Directors, California Association For the Retarded, Sacramento, CA
- 1995 - 2004: Board of Directors, Foundation for the Retarded of the Desert, Palm Desert, CA
- 1997 - 2004: Board of Directors, Desert Academy, Palm Desert, CA
- 1996 - 2004: Board of Directors, Total Living Choices, Palm Desert, CA
- 1993 - 1995: Board of Directors, The Work Group on Social Policy, Kansas University
- 1995 - present: Secretary, Concerned Citizens of Rancho Mirage, Rancho Mirage, CA
- 1996 - present: Member, Jewish Federation of the Desert Leadership Institute
- 1995 - present: Member, Association of Private Voluntary Organizations
- 1995 - present: Member, American Society for Public Administration
- 1993 - 1995: Advisory Board member, Professional Development Schools (KU School of Education, Department of Curriculum and Instruction)
- 1991 - present: American Association of Behavioral Sciences National Social Science Association
- 1982 - present: Council for Exceptional Children
- 1992 - present: The Association for the Severely Handicapped (TASH)
- 1992 - present: The Association for Policy Analysis and Management
- 1992 - present: Board Member, Desert Academy, Palm Desert
Articles in Refereed Professional Journals
- Doktor, J and Poertner, J (1996). Kentucky Family Resource Centers: A Community Based School-Linked Service Model. Remedial and Special Education Vol. 17, number 5 pp. 293-303
- Doktor, J. (2009) Do Mandatory Service Learning Requirements Increase Empathy towards Children With Special Needs? National Social Science Proceedings Vol 41 No.3 pp 60-71
- Doktor, J. (accepted for publication Spring 2010) The mutuality of interests between professional developments school partners. The Journal of the National Association of Professional Development Schools.
- Dreuth, L., Doktor, J., Swanke, J. (accepted for publication summer 2010). Strengths-based social niches of mothers raising children with autism spectrum disorders, Journal of Family Social Work.
- Swanke, J., Dreuth Zeman, L., Doktor, J. ( 2009). Discontent and activism among mothers who blog while raising children with autism spectrum disorders, Journal of the Association for Research on Mothering. Vol 11,No.1 pp 199-211.
- Swanke, J., Dreuth Zeman, L., Doktor, J. (under review).Promoting Consumer Self-Determination among Social Work Graduate students Through a Virtual Community of Practice.
- Doktor, J (Accepted for publication 2010) Attitudes toward Special Learners among General Education Teacher Candidates. Journal of Urban Education
- Doktor, J; Dreuth Zeman, L (accepted for publication Spring 2010).General education teacher candidate dispositions towards students with exceptionalities following service learning with inclusion in an urban school. Journal of Education and Social Justice.
Book Chapters Accepted for Publication
- Doktor, J .and Dreuth-Zeman, L ( Spring 2010) Integrating Mothers Views of Resources that Foster Growth for Children with ASD into Policy in Douglass,E (ed) “Current Trends in Child and Family Policy” Littlefield Press.
- Sage Press (present)
- AERA reviewer (present)
- MWERA reviewer (present)
- The Early Implementation of family Resource and Youth Service Centers in Kentucky: A Multi-Frame Perspective.