Human Resources: Available Positions
Position: Dean, School of Education & Leadership
Reports to: Provost
Status: Full-time, Exempt, 12 month contract
Reports to the dean: School of Education and Leadership Department Chairs for Teaching Credentials, Masters Degrees, Liberal Studies Day and Intensive, Staff, and Director of the Early Learning Center
The Dean of the School of Education and Leadership at NDNU serves as the chief academic and administrative officer of the School of Education and Leadership. The Dean is a visionary leader who takes a primary role in promoting excellence in the implementation of the School’s educational mission including collaborations and partnerships, creation of new programs, fundraising and external positioning. The Dean also is responsible for faculty hiring and supervision, faculty and staff development, curriculum development, program evaluation, budget management and enrollment efforts. The Dean fosters and promotes diversity among faculty and students.
The Dean is expected to provide strong leadership in building relationships with local school districts, state and national professional organizations, and governmental and accreditation agencies. In addition, the Dean should have excellent administrative and interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work effectively with faculty, staff, students and K-12 school personnel. (Having specific knowledge of California Education requirements essential.) An earned doctorate in education or related field with a demonstrated successful record of teaching, research and administration in the areas of teacher education and allied disciplines is required.
- Provides oversight for all programs within the School including credential and Masters degree programs and undergraduate Liberal Studies Program.
- Direct supervision of department chairs, program directors and staff. Indirect supervision of other faculty who report to chairs and program directors.
- Direct supervision of the Early Learning Center Montessori School.
- Responsible for oversight and implementation of all California Commission on Teacher Credentialing Program Standards.
- Responsible for School of Education and Leadership budget forecasting and control; revenue projections and expenses, and faculty contract generation.
- Mentors new faculty; encourages their growth and professional development.
- Demonstrates entrepreneurship and creativity in development of new programs to meet changing market trends.
- Chairs annual meeting of the School Advisory Board
2. Faculty Development:
- Work with faculty to support their professional development.
- Conduct evaluations of faculty related to their teaching, advising, service and administrative responsibilities as described in the faculty handbook.
- Make recommendations on faculty retention, promotion and tenure.
- Assure that education faculty are aware of state teacher education policy initiatives and that preparation for accreditation visits occurs in a timely manner.
- Consult regularly with Liberal Studies Day and Intensive program leaders to encourage timely responses to emerging markets and articulation possibilities.
- Provides direction for the acquisition and integration of new technology in education
3. Public Relations:
- Work with the public information office and student newspaper to maintain a highly visible School profile both internally and externally.
- Build and maintain good relations with other deans, faculty, staff and administrators.
- Seek opportunities to work with other university academic programs.
- Develop and maintain collegial partnerships within the School of Education and Leadership, the University community, and public and private K-12 schools in the area.
- Establish and maintain educational partnerships with local school districts, including contracts for student/intern teachers and collaborative off-campus programs as appropriate
- Serve as Chair of the Education Committee, which reviews student/intern teacher progress and evaluation of all credential student progress
- Serve as a public relations representative of the University as needed
4. Fundraising & Marketing
- Work with the Development Office and other campus constituencies to generate new resources.
- Provide oversight for grant writing, grant maintenance and reporting.
- Work with Dean of Enrollment to enhance marketing opportunities to build enrollment.
- Attend Information Evenings and contribute to brochures and other printed material to advertise these meetings.
- Create a Dean’s Advisory Board from members of the community at large to advise the dean on matters that would benefit the School regarding finances and exposure in various venues
5. Additional Duties:
- Teach one course each academic year.
- Manage appropriate tasks assigned by Provost commensurate with the Dean’s role.
- Serve on the Academic Management Team, Presidents Council, Council of Deans and other University groups as designated by the Provost
- Ed.D or Ph.D. in a teaching field within the School of Education and Leadership
- Senior Administrative experience in the field of education or related field
- Ranked teaching experience at an accredited College or University
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with others both within the University setting and in the larger profession.
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written
- Demonstrated record of program development
- Record of successful fund-raising and/or grants
- Experience with diverse constituencies and diverse programs to promote educational access and achievement for all students – especially those from underrepresented populations.
NDNU is committed to providing an educational environment that supports a diverse student population. In your cover letter, please include information about your experiences in working in a diverse environment, and what qualities you would bring to supporting this commitment to inclusive excellence at NDNU.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to:
Notre Dame de Namur University
Human Resources, Job # DSEL2013
1500 Ralston Avenue
Belmont, CA 94002
Or via email: email@example.com