Human Resources: Available Positions
Position: Director of Library Services
Reports to: Provost
Status: Full-Time, Exempt, Tenure-Track
Supervises: 4 Faculty Librarians, Access Services Manager, and Library Assistant for Technical Services
Deadline: January 15th and open until filled
The Gellert Library at Notre Dame de Namur University seeks a forward-thinking, dynamic and service-oriented Director of Library Services. S/he will provide strategic leadership for all functions of the Library, serve as the primary advocate for the Library, and oversee the delivery of on and off-campus library services at Notre Dame de Namur University. This position serves an advisory role to University administration regarding future enhancements of Library services.
The Director of Library Services is responsible for the management of the Library, including but not limited to:
- Providing innovative, results-oriented leadership in the development of services to faculty, students, researchers, and the NDNU community
- Managing day-to-day operation of the Library including services, collections, facilities, and training and supervision of library faculty and staff.
- Promoting the services and collections of the Library to the University community
- Overseeing and managing the continual development of the Library’s active and highly utilized information literacy instruction/assessment program
- Preparing and administering the annual budget
- Researching and implementing enhancements to existing library technology
- Overseeing and managing an effective library web presence
- Preparing statistical reports, surveys, self-studies, and analyses of library services
- Conducting targeted assessment to improve information literacy instruction, collections, and operations tailored to patron needs.
- Developing and implementing long-range plans for growth and improvement of facilities, collections, and services that reflect the evolving changes in scholarship.
- Remaining current with library trends, use of library technology, and the provision of services to today’s library
- Seeking innovative and creative ways to market, enhance, and improve Library services
- Strategically collaborating with other campus units to promote innovative services to NDNU students and faculty.
Working nights and weekends may be necessary to complete the requirements of the position.
- ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library and Information Science
- Six years of successful experience in an academic library, including at least three years of supervisory experience at the level of a department head or above
- Understanding of emerging technologies and demonstrated expertise with the implementation of technologies in an academic library environment.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, document, and complete projects.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in multiple formats and to diverse audiences.
- Proven ability to work effectively with diverse faculty, students and staff, demonstrated commitment to promote diversity and inclusion
- Creativity to develop and implement library programs and services
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Successful supervisory experience as evidenced by in-depth knowledge and understanding of staff supervision, demonstrated success in effective leadership, and the ability to promote teamwork and professional development
- Second subject Master’s Degree or a Ph.D.
- A background in implementing current and emerging library technologies, such as an ILS system, proxy servers and web design
- Experience developing grant proposals
NDNU is committed to providing an educational environment that supports a diverse student population. In your cover letter, please include information about your experiences in working in a diverse environment, and what qualities you would bring to supporting this commitment to inclusive excellence at NDNU.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to:
Notre Dame de Namur University
Human Resources, Job # DLS071613
1500 Ralston Avenue
Belmont, CA 94002
Or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org