For Zipcar members 21 years of age or older, our insurance coverage consists of a combined single limit of $300,000 per accident, meaning that all third party bodily injuries, or property damage costs relating to the accident are covered in the aggregate up to $300,000. For drivers under 21, we provide coverage up to state-mandated levels, which vary by the state in which the accident occurs. The Zipcar vehicles are covered under a comprehensive vehicle collision policy.
For both third party and Zipcar vehicle damage claims, the member may be responsible for a damage fee of up to $750 if they're involved in an incident during their reservation. Members age 21+, who have had no accidents in the last 12 months, have the option to purchase a damage fee waiver to reduce that amount or eliminate it altogether.
We provide Personal Injury Protection (PIP), or "no-fault" coverage, at statutory limits if you're injured in an accident. You may also use your own health care coverage in case of injury.
If the total amount of the injuries and/or property damage exceeds our coverage limits, Zipcar members are responsible for this excess and will be contacted by either Zipcar, our insurance provider, or the insurance company representing another party involved in the accident.
Members engaging in prohibited uses of our Zipcars are not covered by our insurance policy. A non-member driving a Zipcar is not covered, and we will revoke membership if we learn about unauthorized use. Zipcar's insurance coverage does not extend to members in any vehicle other than a Zipcar.
If you have any questions or concerns about the insurance coverage Zipcar provides and whether it works for your personal situation, we encourage you to consult with a licensed agent and put them in touch with us if needed. Insurance can be tricky and we want you to be informed. You can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The use of a Zipcar vehicle under the following conditions is prohibited:
- any speed race, competition, or timely delivery of goods;
- for the purpose of towing, pushing, or propelling any trailer or any other vehicle;
- for the primary business purpose of transporting people or operating a taxi service;
- by any person who is under the influence of (i) alcohol or (ii) any drug or medication under the effects of which the operation of a vehicle is prohibited or not recommended;
- in the carrying out of any crime or any other illegal activity;
- in an imprudent or abusive manner or for any abnormal use of this vehicle; or
- by any person who has provided Zipcar with false information or whose representations are determined to be false (including, without limitation, regarding his name, age, or address).